Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Hot, Humid and Humbled

Buenos Dias,
Well It has been my first week in iquitos, and it has been quite the adventure. Full of ups and downs, but regardless, I am so happy to be a missionary and to have the opportunity to serve. So, I have not stopped sweating since I got off the plane. It is honestly a sauna here. Im always dripping sweat, haha its funny, my investigators look at me like I'm dying. Its great though.
I have been very blessed this week. My trainer,  Elder Plaza, is from Ecuador and is a great missionary and super nice guy. We work very hard and it is nice to have a 100% obedient companion. He has been able to help me out a lot. We also have probably the nicest house in the area, which isnt saying much but it is ok.. So I am serving in Iquitos, in an area just 15 mins outside of the city called Seceda. It's very humbling, the people here live a lot differently then back in the states. They have wood houses, dirt floors, and not much of anything. But they all seem to be happy. I was definitely humbled this week because I dont know any spanish. Everyone just laughs at me and when they ask me something I just nod my head, say si and hope that yes is the correct answer. I really hope to pick up on the language soon, its hard not having anyone to talk to. I want to help these people very badly, but dont have the vocabulary to say what I want to say. But i know it will come. I need to be patient. We have two baptism dates for the end of October which is amazing, I was able to ask one of them to be baptized and he agreed and said he would really like that. Things are going well here, and I know they will get better. Keep me in your prayers and I will do the same for all of you. We are also in a very blessed ward. Every night we go out on splits with some return missionaries from the ward, and they are awesome. They treat me very nicely and help me out with spanish. I miss everyone and hope you are all doing well. I have a lot to learn and adapt to out here, but I know I'll be fine. Ether 12:27 is my scripture for the week. Be humble, trust in him, and he will provide the way. Much love!
ELder Droubay

                                             Elder Droubay and Elder Plaza (from Ecuador)
                               All of the new missionaries with Presidente and Hermana Gomez
                                                                            Elder Droubay

No comments:

Post a Comment